St. Peter’s Church,
Church Lane, off High Street,
Northants. NN6 9QH
Walgrave is the most easterly location in the Guilsborough Branch.
A internal view of the spire which was rebuilt c1867.
Benefice:- Walgrave, Old & Scaldwell.
- Treble. 1867. John Taylor & Co. (6-3-9).
- 2nd. 1723. Thomas Russell of Wootton. (6-2-23).
- 3rd. 1723. Thomas Russell of Wootton. (8-1-12).
- 4th. 1766. Joseph Eayre of St. Neots. (11-0-3).
- Tenor. 1723. Thomas Russell of Wootton. (Wt. 13-2-8).
Clock and chimes.
- Notice for visiting bell ringers :-
- To dis-engage chime & clock bell hammers, pull & hook down 2 control cables, located to the left & right of north tower doorway.
Ground floor rope layout plan.
……..west wall & window of tower……..
2nd. Clock & chime hammers, disengage position ↑
north EXIT door ⇒
⇑ belfry ladder rope spider 4th.
…………………..↓gate to nave↓…………………..
One step up from nave to ringing area
<<< south door <<< EXIT
- Good tonal qualities.
- Good rope circle.
- Belfry ladder between treble and No. 2 ropes.
- Rope guides.
- Stone floor.
- Rope mats.
- Lighting ideally should be brighter.
- Additional exit on north side of tower.
- Two-tier metal frame.
- Metal headstocks.
- Conventional stays.
- Sanctus bell.
Accessibility to Church.
- Slightly inclined paving slabbed path up to south door from lane, followed by two shallow steps down into nave.
“On-road” car parking outside & adjacent to Church.
- Please be aware of entrance drives & pathways leading to houses close to Church.
The Earlier Bells.
- In 1723, five Thomas Russell bells were recorded at Walgrave.
- The 4th. bell was subsequently re-cast by Joseph Eayre of St. Neots in 1766.
- The treble bell was subsequently re-cast by John Taylor & Co. in 1867.
- The tenor was re-cast by Thomas Russell in 1723 from a much earlier bell, dated 1494.
Inscriptions as at 1878.
- J. TAYLOR & Co BELLFOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH. E.H. GIFFORD D.D. RECTOR THOMAS EMERSON JOHN PENTELOW } RECAST 1867.
- THOMAS RVSSELL MADE ME 1723.
- EDWARD MABBETT AND ROBARD SMITH CHURCHWARDENS 1723.
- DR GEORGE REYNALD RECTOR JOHN FRY AND WM. EATON CHURCHWARDENS 1766.
- JOHN SMITH GAVE THIS BELL IN 1494. THOMAS RUSSELL OF WOOTTON CAST THIS PEAL AND NEW CAST IN 1723. E. MABBETT AND R. SMITH CHURCHWARDENS.
Sanctus bell :
- c1410. John de Colsale.
Inscription (and translation). :
- SIT NOMEN DOMINI BENEDICTUM
- Blessed be the Name of the Lord.
Village amenities include :-