Maidwell.

Address :
St. Mary’ Church,
Draughton Road,
Maidwell.
Northants. NN6 9JG

Church of St. Mary, Maidwell.
St. Mary’s Church, Maidwell.

Benefice:- Part of  The Faxton Group of Churches.

Tower Captain : Nicholas Wilson.

Dove’s Guide

6 Bells.

  • Treble. 1895. John Taylor & Co. (3-1-22).
  • 2nd.       1772. Edward Arnold.     (4-0-13).
  • 3rd.        1772. Edward Arnold.     (4-2-0).
  • 4th.        1772. Edward Arnold.     (5-1-12).
  • 5th.        1772. Edward Arnold.     (5-3-15).
  • Tenor.  1772. Edward Arnold of St. Neots. (Wt. 8-1-0).

Clock.

  • Notice for visiting bell ringers:
  • To dis-engage clock bell hammer, pull & hook down control cable located on west wall of tower, adjacent to external tower door.

Ground floor rope layout plan.

Two steps down to ringing area, via external tower door.
…west wall……↑ door ↑…… of tower…

⇑ EXIT  ⇑

← Clock hammer, disengage cable position

2nd.                 3rd.

 

Treble                                       4th.

 

     Tenor                  5th.

                                                                metal belfry ladder ⇑

…..glazed nave partition…..↓door↓…..
One step up to ringing area, via nave.


Accessibility to Church.
Level gravel path from Draughton road gate, curves around tower to south porch. 

Observations.

  • You may have to close trapdoor to clock-room if bells are too loud in ringing area.
  • Good rope circle.
  • Rope guides.
  • New ropes fitted.
  • Lighting not ideal.

Technical attributes.

  • Metal frame.
  • Metal headstocks.
  • Conventional stays.

Toilet facilities.

Ringing practices.

Limited “on-road” car parking outside Church.
Please be aware of entrance drives & pathways leading to houses close to Church.


Miscellany.

Ellacombe chime apparatus present within tower base ringing area, but not in use.


The Earlier Bells.

  • According to Bridges, in 1700 there were 4 bells.
  • By 1772 there were 5 bells all cast by Edward Arnold.
  • A 6th. was cast in 1895 & added in front of the 1772 treble bell.

Earlier tenor inscription, as at 1700.

  • Mille quadringentis octogintaque duobus annis fusa fui lapsis ab origine chricti agenetrice pia protervis dicta Maria. 
  • “ I was poured when 1482 shameful years had passed from the birth of Christ by his holy mother, called Mary”
  • (Translation, courtesy of Classics dept. at MCS Oxford).

Village amenities include :-
Public house.

Advertisements