Yelvertoft.

Address :
All Saints’ Church,
High Street, Yelvertoft.
Northants. NN6 6LY

Church of All Saints, Yelvertoft.
All Saints’ Church, Yelvertoft.

A linear village, with its High Street following the route of a very early “Portway” track known as “Salters Way”.(E.W.Timmins).

The Wildlife Trusts,
Northamptonshire Churchyard Conservation Award Scheme.
“Gold Award”.

United Benefice:- Crick, Yelvertoft with Clay Coton & Lilbourne.

Tower captain for Yelvertoft :-
David. Tel. 01788 – 822598.

Web links.
Yelvertoft History Group.
A Church Near You.
Yelvertoft Church
Dove’s Guide

6 Bells.

  • Treble. 1989. Eijsbouts of Holland. (5-0-10).
  • 2nd.       1635. Hugh II Watts.  (5½ cwt.)
  • 3rd.        1635. Hugh II Watts.     (6 cwt.)
  • 4th.        1635. Hugh II Watts.     (7 cwt.)
  • 5th.        1635. Hugh II Watts. (9¼ cwt.)
  • Tenor.   1635. Hugh II Watts of Leicester. ( Wt.12 cwt.)

The ringing area is accessed via an open tread stairway from ground floor level.

Clock.

  • Notice for visiting bell ringers:
  • To dis-engage clock bell hammer, pull & hook down control cable located on north wall of tower, at top of ringing gallery stairway.

Upper floor, rope & utilities layout plan.

…west wall & window of tower…  

Tenor    Treble

5th                                    2nd.

                                                              rope spider             ⇓ trapdoor & stairway
⇓ belfry ladder                                                       ⇓  EXIT

4th                      3rd

……….↓gallery rail & nave↓……….

<<< EXIT < south door  <<<     >>>  north door > EXIT >>>


Observations.

  • Good rope circle.
  • Excellent tonal qualities.
  • Adequate lighting.
  • Carpet.
  • Rope mats.
  • Emergency lighting.

Technical attributes.

  • Metal frame.
  • Metal headstock on treble bell.
  • Wooden headstocks on No’s. 2 to 6 bells.

Accessibility to Church.

  • Both north & south doorways into the Church are on the level.
  • Level access to north door from the car park route.
  • If walking from the village, route includes an uphill footpath with railings to the Churchyard gates.
  • Ringing chamber :  Access via an open tread stairway from tower base.

This is a well established regular practice,  Friday from 7:30pm. to 9:00pm.

EXCEPT FOR :- The 4th. Friday of each month, practice is transferred to St. Margaret’s Church, Crick.

Toilet Facilities.

Servery and two meeting areas.

******************************************************

Very limited car parking by north entrance gate.

  • Please be aware of driveways to nearby house & farm.

On road car parking  in High Street & surrounding roads.

  • Please be aware of entrance drives & pathways leading to houses.

Miscellany.

Historic traces of an Ellacombe chiming apparatus.


The Bells.

  • Originally, 5 bells were cast by Hugh II Watts of Leicester in 1635.
  • The bellfounder was operating from 1614/5 to 1642 with at least 316 castings to his credit.
  • In 1989 a new treble bell was added, cast by Eijsbouts of Holland.

Inscriptions, (pre 1989 ring of 5 in brackets).

  1. .
  2. (1) THOMAS CORNISH AND THOMAS MORETON
  3. (2) GOD SAVE THE KING
  4. (3) IH’S : NAZARENVS REX : IVDEORVM FILI : DEI MISERERE : MEI 1635
  5. (4) IH’S : NAZARENVS REX : IVDEORVM FILI : DEI MISERERE : MEI 1635
  6. (5) CUM CUM AND PRAIE

Translation.
No’s. 4 & 5, Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews, O Son of God have mercy on me.
“S” of “IH’S” is reversed on bell.


Ringing now takes place at an upper floor level, the floor being built around the original ground floor wooden access ladder to the clock room & bells.

 Improvements.

  • The ground floor area was enhanced with the addition of toilet facilities & a choir vestry.
  • A further area, adjacent to the south aisle, is now an enclosed meeting room with servery facilities.
  • To the west of the south aisle is an open plan meeting area.
  • Restoration works to the masonry of the tower were finally completed in 2013.

Village amenities.

  • Butchers shop.
  • Canalside marina.
  • Congregational Church (now known as Yelvertoft Independent Chapel).
  • Post office.
  • Public house.
  • Roman Catholic Church.
  • Village hall.

******************************************************

Advertisements