St. Nicholas’ Church,
Main Street, Marston Trussell.
(Northamptonshire). LE16 9TY
- Northamptonshire county border village, the river Welland forms a boundary with Leicestershire.
- Local records indicate that upto the early 16th. century, the church had a small spire but this was removed & the upper portion of the tower rebuilt to a very noticeable height of 71 feet as per what we see today.
- To the right of the car parking area is an information panel regarding an English Civil War encounter in the aftermath of the battle at Naseby 1645.
Benefice:- Marston Trussell, Sibbertoft & Welford.
Treble. 2012. Eijsbouts of Holland. (3-0-27).
2nd. 1621. Hugh II Watts.
3rd. 1622. Hugh II Watts.
4th. 1612. Hugh I Watts.
5th. 1622. Hugh II Watts.
Tenor. 1959.John Taylor & Co. (Wt.10-0-14).
- Notice for visiting bell ringers :-
- To dis-engage clock bell hammer, pull & hook down control cable located on north wall of tower.
Ground Floor rope layout plan.
…West wall & window of tower…
Clock hammer, disengage position →
…⇓…Open access to nave…⇓…
(Two steps up from nave to ringing area)
Treble sally colours : blue / gold.
EXIT ⇒ ⇒ ⇒ north door ⇒ ⇒ ⇒
Sunday service ringing subject to available ringers.
- (2nd. Sunday, 9.00am. to 9.30am.)
- (4th. Sunday, 5.30pm. to 6.00pm.)
Currently, no practices.
No toilet facilities.
- Good rope circle.
- Rope guides.
- Stone floor.
- Rope mats.
- Lighting ought to be brighter.
- Cold and damp during winter months.
- Metal frame.
- Metal headstocks.
- Conventional stay on treble bell.
- Hastings stays on No’s. 2 to 6 bells.
Accessibility to Church.
1) Level access path to the north porch from car park & road.
One step down to porch, then four steps down into the nave via north door.
2) Level but grassy path leading down to south door, followed by one step up into nave.
Limited “off road” car parking adjacent to Church gates.
- A new treble bell, cast by Eijsbouts, (with headstock & extra frame engineered by Taylors, in order to compliment their existing framework), was added to make a ring of six in December 2013 & installed by local volunteers & bellringers.
The Earlier Tenor Bell.
- Hugh II Watts cast a tenor bell in 1623, it became cracked & was subsequently re-cast in 1959 by John Taylor & Co.
- (Original inscription). IH’S : NAZARENVS REX IVDEORVM FILI DEI MISERERE MEI 1623 MARKE BREWSTER GAVE THIS BELL
- Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews, O Son of God have mercy on me. Marke Brewster gave this bell.
- “S” of “IH’S” is reversed on bell.
Inscriptions, (pre 2013, ring of 5 in brackets).
- MY NAME IS PAUL COME WHEN I CALL / DIAMOND JUBILEE OF QUEEN ELIZABETH II 2012
- (3) ABCD EFGHI KLMNO 1612