St. Michael and All Angels Church,
“Church Lane”, Winwick.
Northants. NN6 7PD
A linear village whose “Main street” follows a tributary brook of the river Avon, flowing westwards through Yelvertoft, Clay Coton & joining the river at Lilbourne.
Benefice:- Long Buckby with Watford & West Haddon with Winwick.
- Treble. c1590. Edward Newcombe. (Approx. 4 cwt.)
- 2nd. 1887. John Taylor & Co. (5-2-6).
- Tenor. c1599. “Leicester Foundry”. (7cwt.) [Royal Head].
- * Important Notice to visiting bell ringers:
- Prior to ringing, to disengage clock hammer, please pull and hook down control cable located on west tower wall, adjacent to spiral stairway door.
Ground floor rope layout plan.
(Ropes fall in straight line close to south wall).
……west wall & window of tower……
↑ disengage clock hammer
Tenor. Note : “B flat”.
2nd. Note : “C” rope spider. toilets →
Treble. Note : “D”
………………↓curtain, door & nave↓……………….
<<< south door <<< EXIT
Accessibility to Church.
- The Church stands on higher ground so inevitably the approach to the south door is all uphill from the road, with several steps at Churchyard gates.
- Please remember to close the Churchyard gate and the outer porch door as sheep graze in the Churchyard.
- In-line rope drop.
- No rope guides.
- Ropes will “dance around” without exacting proper control. Not recommended for novice bell ringers due to the rope control characteristics.
- Reasonable lighting.
- Wall heater.
- Wooden frame.
- Wooden headstocks.
- Conventional stays.
- Ball bearing gudgeon pins.
Bells can be rung for weddings, funerals or other special occasions.
No practice or service ring at present.
Sunday Service : 3rd. Sunday at 6.00pm.
Very limited car parking on Church drive.
- Spring bulbs have been planted extensively along the grass verges leading to the Church, small notice boards request visitors to refrain from parking on these verges.
- Treble. Edward Newcombe.
- EDWARD NIWCUM
- 2nd. Prior to 1887, it is recorded in Church records that an earlier c15th. century bell existed. The founder’s stamps appear to be identical to those at Fawsley, near Daventry, therefore it is extremely suggestive that the 2nd. at Winwick was cast by William Chamberlain, a London founder 1426 to 1456.
- Earlier bell : No name or inscription, just three stamps of the bell-founder.
- Tenor. This “Leicester foundry” bell is already historically known & documented as a “Royal Headed Bell”.
Below, is an enhanced image of the raised Royal Head.