St. Helen’s Church,
Harborough Road, Great Oxendon.
(Northamptonshire). LE16 8NB
Northamptonshire county border village.
This is another linear village, running not north to south as you might reasonably expect it to, following the main A508 road, but infact it actually runs east to west.
Great Oxendon & Lilbourne are the only two towers in the Guilsborough Branch that do not contain clocks.
Benefice:- Part of The Faxton Group of Churches.
Tower Contact : Nich Wilson. Mobile : 07767 728 767.
- Treble. 1820. Thomas II Mears. (4-2-7). [ swing EW ]
- 2nd. 1886. John Taylor & Co. (5-0-5). [ ” EW ]
- 3rd. 1599. “Newcombe”. (5-0-1). [ ” NS ]
- 4th. 1853. John Warner & Co. (5-1-18). [ ” NS ]
- Tenor. 1744. Thomas I Eayre. (Wt.7-0-2). [ ” NS ]
- No Clock.
Ground floor rope layout plan.
………..….west wall of tower……..…….
…………↓open access to nave↓…………
Several steps up to ringing area from nave.
<<< south door <<< EXIT
Accessibility to Church.
- Short uphill Church drive from main road to car park.
- Level approach path from car park to south door, followed by two steps down into Nave of Church.
Occasional bell ringing prior to Sunday Services.
- Ground floor ringing area accessed via several steps from Nave.
- Good rope circle.
- Good tonal qualities.
- Tenor deep-set at hand-stroke.
- Long overall rope drop between wheels and ground level.
- Long rope draughts with guides.
- Floor mats.
- Some of the ropes subjectively require more attention to control than others.
- Composite wooden & metal “A” frames.
- Cast iron headstocks.
- Hastings stays.
- Gudgeon pins supported by ball bearings.
- Plain clapper bearings lubricated via screw- cup greasers.
- Wooden intermediate rope guide in sounding chamber.
Church car park holds up to four cars.
- Also, limited car parking either side of church drive, next to main road.
The Earlier Bells.
- Records show there were 4 bells in 1878 :-
- Treble. 1820.
- 2nd. “Alphabet bell”. Newcombe.
- 3rd. 1853. John Warner & Son.
- Tenor. 1744. Thomas I Eayre.
Inscriptions, (Pre 1878 bell line-up in brackets).
- (1) 1820
- (2) ABCDE FGH KLMNOP QRST
- (3) JOHN WARNER & SON FOUNDERS LONDON 1853.
- (4) OMNIA FIANT AD GLORIAM DEI JOHN JOHNSON & PETER BERRY C : W. A : D. 1744 T. E.
Notes : Present No.3 bell, further inscription inspection required.
No.5 translation : [ let all be done to the glory of God ….. ]