St. Andrew’s Church,
“Church Lane”, Off Scaldwell Road,
Northants. NN6 9QY
The village is also known as Wold.
Benefice:- Walgrave, Old & Scaldwell.
5 Bells, currently unringable.
- Treble. 1825. Thomas II Mears.
- 2nd. 1723. Thomas I Eayre of Kettering.
- 3rd. 1631. Hugh II Watts.
- 4th. c1480. John Danyell, succ’r. “Brede”.
- Tenor. 1639. Hugh II Watts. (12 cwt.)
Very limited car parking adjacent to Church.
- It is just conceivable that this bell installation will be overhauled & back to good working order, sometime in the future.
- Once again, it’s always the high cost of carrying out such a task, that will command the timeline.
- If the work is carried out, the new ringing chamber will be at a first floor height, over the new toilet facilities.
Existing technical attributes.
- Diagonal wooden frame.
- Wooden headstocks.
- Conventional (rustic) stays.
The Extra bell.
- Before 1825 there were 4 bells already existing in the tower. A new treble was added in 1825.
- T. MEARS OF LONDON FECIT 1825.
- THOMAS HAYES RECTOR : J : WARREN : S : CHAPMAN. C.W. IHS NAZARENUS REX JUDEORUM FILI DEI MISERERE MEI AD 1723.
- Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews, O Son of God have mercy on me.
- JAMES FORSYTH P. WILLIAM CHAPMAN JAMES LADD 1631
- Missi De Celis Haboe Nomen Gabrielis
- I have the name of Gabriel, (who was) sent to Heaven.
- JOHANNES STEPHENS ME DEDIT WILLIAM CHAPMAN. GREGARI DEXTER AND JOHN PETTEVER GARDIANI ANNO 1639
Village amenities include :-