St. Helen’s Church,
Church Street, Sibbertoft.
(Northamptonshire). LE16 9UA
- Northamptonshire county border village.
- The source of the River Welland rises within the parish of Sibbertoft, forming part of the boundary with Leicestershire.
- An interesting feature of the tower is there are a total of three clock dials mounted on the north, south & west faces respectively.
Benefice:- Welford, Sibbertoft & Marston Trussell.
Tower Captain for Welford & Sibbertoft:-
Kelvin, Tel. 01858 575683.
- Treble, 1877. Mears & Stainbank. (5-1-4).
- 2nd. 1877. Mears & Stainbank. (5-3-14).
- 3rd. 1883. John Taylor & Co. (6-0-22).
- 4th. 1956. John Taylor & Co. (7-1-20).
- Tenor. 1825. W & J Taylor. (Wt.10-2-2).
- Notice for visiting bell ringers:
- To dis-engage clock bell hammer, pull & hook down control cable located on north wall of tower.
Ground floor rope layout plan.
…..west wall & door of tower…..
Clock hammer, disengage position →
…↓open & level access to nave↓…
<<< south door <<< EXIT
- Excellent tonal qualities.
- Rope guides.
- Compact, but good rope circle.
- Smooth running.
- Well illuminated ringing chamber.
- Stone floor.
- Rope mats.
- Emergency lighting.
- Metal frame.
- Metal headstocks.
- Conventional stays.
Sunday service ringing, subject to available ringers : Sunday, 9.00am. to 9.30am.
- 2nd. & 4th. Monday from 7:30pm. to 9:00pm.
- (Welford is on 1st. & 3rd. Monday).
- 5th. Monday is floating. May be at different Churches.
Bells are also rung for weddings & other special occasions.
Accessibility to Church.
- Illuminated level access from the road into the Church via south porch & door.
“On-road” car parking outside Church.
- Please be aware of entrance drives & pathways leading to houses close to Church.
The Earlier Bells.
- Bridges reports that in 1700, there were 3 bells.
- In 1825, the bells were re-cast plus 2 more added, by W. & J. Taylor.
- The treble & 2nd. were subsequently re-cast in 1877 by Mears & Stainbank followed by the 3rd. in 1883 & 4th. in 1956, both the latter bells cast by John Taylor & co. in different centuries.
- The Tenor is the only remaining W. & J. Taylor bell from the 1825 castings.
Village amenities include :-
Sunday afternoon tea shop.(spring, summer & autumn).