St. Etheldreda’s Church,
Coton Road, Guilsborough.
Northants. NN6 8QA
According to records, the Church was originally dedicated to St. Wilfred.
Benefice:- Part of the Uplands Group of Churches.
Tower Captain for Guilsborough :- Merrick. Tel. 01604-740138.
All 6 bells cast in 1847 by Charles & George Mears.
- Treble. (3-2-11).
- 2nd. (4-1-21).
- 3rd. (4-0-16).
- 4th. (5-1-14).
- 5th. (6-1-20).
- Tenor. (Wt. 8-1-24).
Ground Floor Ringing area.
… west window …
… ↓ door to Nave ↓ …
… step up to ringing chamber …
South door ⇐ ⇐ ⇐ EXIT >>> Toilet facilities.
Practice Night is on a Monday, 7.45pm. to 9.00pm.
Usually in 3 x 10 week blocks.
Please contact the Tower Captain for timings throughout the year.
- Low ringing chamber ceiling.
- Good tonal quality.
- Major overhaul due April >>> June 2018.
- Further details available after completion of overhaul.
Accessibility to Church.
- Short, level & wide path from pavement leading to one shallow step up into south porch.
“On-road” car parking outside Church.
- Please be aware of entrance drives & pathways leading to houses close to Church.
- Limited public car parking in lay-by, situated in Teeton Road, opposite Church entrance.
The Earlier Bells.
- Up to 1847, it is recorded there were 4 bells.
- 1) 1618. Hugh II Watts.
- IHS : Nazarenvs rex ivdeorvm [ fili dei miserere mei ] 1618.
- Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews, O Son of God have mercy on me
- 2) 1593. ?
- 3) 1707. Henry Penn of Peterborough.
- 4) 1675. Tobias III Norris.
- Tobie Norris made me: God save the King 1675
- In 1847, all 4 bells were re-cast & 2 more added by C & G Mears. to give the present ring of 6 bells.
Village & nearby amenities include :-
Gardens & plants at Coton.