Church Road, Spratton.
Northants. NN6 8HH
- The spire & part of the tower were rebuilt c1870.
- Records as at 1878 show the Church was previously dedicated to St. Luke.
- This Church is a member of the Uplands Group of Parishes in the Brixworth Deanery.
Note: The inner parts of the village are subject to a 20 mph speed limit.
- Treble. 1988. Eijsbouts of Holland. (5-1-19).
- 2nd. 1685. Henry II Bagley. (5-3-8).
- 3rd. 1929. John Taylor & Co. (6-3-13).
- 4th. 1685. Henry II Bagley. (8-0-12).
- 5th. 1929. John Taylor & Co. (9-3-23).
- Tenor. 1685. Henry II Bagley. ( Wt.11-2-24).
- Notice for visiting bell ringers :-
- To dis-engage chime & clock bell hammers, pull & hook down, all 3 control cables located on north & south walls of tower.
Ground floor rope layout plan.
……………west wall & doorway……………
rope spider Tenor
…↓glazed partition & door, to nave↓…
Two steps up to ringing area.
EXIT >>> north door >>>
- Good rope circle.
- Two-tier metal frame.
- Hastings and conventional stays.
Accessibility to Church.
- 1) Level approach from Church road gateway to north door & into Church.
- 2) Steep approach path from Brixworth road, leads up to steps through north Churchyard gate, followed by an easier gradient up to north door.
No practice night.
The Earlier Bells.
- It is recorded that there were 3 bells in 1552.
- As of 1685, 5 bells were in the tower cast by Henry II Bagley, although the 4th. is so inscribed, indicating Matthew Bagley as the founder.
- By 1929, the 2nd. & 4th. were both replaced by John Taylor & Co.
- 1988 saw the addition of a 6th. bell, now the present Treble.
Inscriptions, (pre- 1929 in brackets).
- (1) CANTATE DOMINO CANTICVM NOVVM 1685 [ Sing unto the Lord a new song ]
- (2) JOHN KNIGHTON AND JOHN CHADWICK CHVRCHWARDENS 1685
- (3) HENRY BAGLEY MADE MEE 1685
- (4) MATTHEW BAGLEY MADE MEE 1685
- (5) FEARS GOD AND HONOR THE KING 1685
Village amenities include :-