Creaton.

P1040747

Address :
St.Michael & All Angels Church,
Violet Lane, Creaton.
Northants. NN6 8NA

Creaton has been referred to as “Great Creaton” & also “Creaton Magna”.

Benefice:- Part of the Uplands Group of Parishes.
Tower Captain for Creaton :- Mike. Tel. 01604-505583.

Dove’s Guide

6 Bells, all swinging E ⇔ W

  • Treble.  1949. John Taylor & Co. (Wt. 2-3-3).
  • 2nd.        1915. James Barwell & Co.
  • 3rd.        1949. John Taylor & Co.  (Wt. 3-3-8).
  • 4th.        1635. Hugh II Watts.
  • 5th.        1636. Hugh II Watts.
  • Tenor.   1635. Hugh II Watts.           (7½ cwt.)

 

Clock.

  • Notice for visiting bell ringers :-
  • To dis-engage clock bell hammer, pull & hook down control cable located on north wall of tower.

Ground floor rope layout plan.

…..west wall & window of tower…..

5th.              Tenor.

⇑ belfry ladder             Treble

4th.      rope spider                

3rd.                2nd.

………………↓gate to nave↓……………….
3 steps up  from nave to ringing area.

                                 EXIT >>> north door >>>


Accessibility to Church.

  • 5 steps from pavement up to & through illuminated Lych gate, uphill approach path to north door, then one step down into nave.

Observations.

  • A light ring of six bells.
  • Compact, but reasonable rope circle even with a belfry ladder between No’s. 4 & 5 ropes.

Technical attributes.

  • Metal frame.
  • Metal headstocks.
  • Gudgeon pins on ball bearings.

Practice Night is on some Wednesdays, 8.00pm. to 9.00pm.

Ringing for Service at Creaton :-

  • 3rd. Sunday : 9.00am. to 9.30am.
  • 1st. & 4th. Sunday : 9.00am. to 9.30am. subject to available ringers.
  • Benefice Service Ringing at other Uplands Group of Churches in rotation :
  • 2nd. (& 5th.) Sunday : 9.30am. to 10.00am.

************************************************************

The Treble Bells.

  • In 1878, records show 4 bells, three cast in 1635 & one cast 1636, all by Hugh II Watts.
  • 1915 saw the addition of a new front treble bell, now making a ring of five.
  • In 1949, another treble was added again in front of the “other trebles” making the final ring up to six bells.
  • The original Hugh II Watts 1635 treble was replaced also in 1949, this replacement represents the current 3rd. bell.

Inscriptions as at 1878.

  1. IH’S : NAZARENVS REX : IVDEORVM FILI : DEI MISERERE : MEI 1635
  2. GOD SAVE THE KING 1635
  3. IH’S : NAZARENVS REX : IVDEORVM FILI : DEI MISERERE : MEI 1636
  4. IH’S : NAZARENVS REX : IVDEORVM FILI : DEI MISERERE : MEI 1635

Translation of inscriptions 1, 3 & 4 = Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews, O Son of God have mercy on me.


Village amenities include :-
Public house.

Advertisements